Prayer Guide: Psalm 2
Psalm 2 (ESV)
1 Why do the nations rage and the peoples plot in vain?
2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord and against his Anointed, saying,
3“Let us burst their bonds apart and cast away their cords from us.”
4He who sits in the heavens laughs; the Lord holds them in derision.
5Then he will speak to them in his wrath, and terrify them in his fury, saying,
6“As for me, I have set my King on Zion, my holy hill.”
7I will tell of the decree: The Lord said to me, “You are my Son; today I have begotten you.
8 Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of the earth your possession.
9You shall break them with a rod of iron and dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel.”
10 Now therefore, O kings, be wise; be warned, O rulers of the earth.
11 Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling.
12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and you perish in the way, for his wrath is quickly kindled. Blessed are all who take refuge in him.
- - - - - - - - -
God's praiseworthy attributes displayed in this text:
- God is the Lord (v. 2)
- Christ is the Anointed One (v.2)
- Sits (enthroned) in the Heavens (v. 4)
- A God of terrifying wrath (v. 4)
- Jesus is King (v. 6)
- God is Holy (v. 6)
- Jesus is God’s begotten son (v. 7)
- The nations of the earth belong to Him (v. 8)
- Christ will judge and rule the nations (v.9)
- Worthy of our service (v. 11)
- Worthy of our reverence (v. 11)
- The fear of Him brings Joy (v. 11)
- Worthy of our affection and adoration (v. 12)
- Judges spiritual rebellion (v. 12)
- Source of blesssing (v. 12)
- Our refuge (v. 12)
Possible Prayer Prompters:
- I praise You Jesus because You are King over...
- Because the whole earth is Your possession, You are Lord over...
- Thank You that You were my refuge when...
- Holy King, I surrender my _________________ to Your rule.
- King Jesus, even though _________________________, I know that you will someday rule the nations.
- I know that _______________________________ (name) is in rebellion against You. Use me to call them to serve and worship you.
- Help me to serve and worship you today as I _______________________.
- As I encounter _____________________________, help me to trust you as my refuge.